blog · git · desktop · images · music · contact & privacy · gopher
lariza: Integration of tabbed about to be removed
Pretty much from the start, lariza used tabbed to group multiple
browser windows. Here’s a screenshot from 2014:
There are several issues with that.
- It does not work under Wayland. It is the one single reason why
lariza is X11 only.
- Without running a heavily customized version of tabbed, there is no
way to display favicons. Yes, they are important. Visual cues
- lariza is a GTK program, so you might want to turn on its dark mode.
Web pages honor it, but tabbed does not.
- lariza cannot tell tabbed to open a new tab in the background.
- (Minor gripe: tabbed has its own set of hotkeys.)
- (Minor gripe: Font rendering isn’t optimal in tabbed, often breaks
- (Minor gripe: I maintained a custom fork of tabbed with some
personal tweaks. I’d like to avoid that.)
In my local development branch, I thus removed tabbed and replaced it
with native GTK tabs.
According to Git and including documentation, it’s pretty much the same
amount of code:
$ g d --stat 0204244..d60f720
README | 1 -
browser.c | 201 ++++++++++++++-----------
man1/lariza.1 | 14 +-
man1/lariza.usage.1 | 21 +--
4 files changed, 118 insertions(+), 119 deletions(-)
Display of favicons is not yet implemented.
I’m going to test this for a little while longer before it gets